School in Vuwani starts as per usual
Regardless of the unrest regarding demarcation in Vuwani in 2016, pupils were seen making their way to school on Wednesday morning.
The provincial education department says that things are in place for the school year to start in the volatile area.
Last year, several schools were burned down in the protests.
Certain schools are now equipped with mobile classrooms in the interim, as the Basic Education Department provided over 70 mobile classrooms.
Parents are hopeful that 2017 will be a better academic year, and talks between last year's protesters and the local government continue.
More News South Africa
- Miss SA goes to Miss Universe
- Rapper sentenced for rape and torture
- This Day in History: 11 January, 1999
- British Airways names top six destinations for 2017
- Social justice group exposes corruption entangling presidential housing initiative
- SAHRC steps into mosque desecration fray
- The 2017 school year begins
- 22% increase in pedestrian fatalities
- CT may see severe water restrictions
- Mo Flava to give away bursaries once again